Pay Range: $18.00- $20.00 Hourly
Closing Date: 8/9/19 at 5pm
The City of West Lake Hills seeks to hire a professional, experienced Deputy Court Clerk provides quality customer service while performing the duties of a clerk in the Municipal Court. The attached Job Description explains the duties and responsibilities of the position and identifies the ideal background and experience for candidates, including the necessary hard and soft skills needed to be successful in the role.
Due to the large volume of applicants that we are expecting to receive, interested candidates must apply for the position via email. Applications delivered in person or by mail will not be accepted.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
1. A one-page cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position and pointing out any relevant experience or special qualifications that you may have;
2. An electronic copy of your resume in PDF (preferred) or Microsoft Word format;
3. A list of at least three professional references including phone number and email address for individuals who can attest to your suitability for this position and who have personal knowledge of your professional accomplishments in similar, previous roles;
4. Any other information or materials that you believe will help us evaluate your candidacy.
Submission of an application is deemed consent for the City to conduct pre-employment background checks and the applicant’s intention to grant the City access to the applicant’s social networking sites.
If you have questions about the job description or application process, you may email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. The City of West Lake Hills is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Under the general supervision of the Municipal Court Clerk, the Deputy Court Clerk provides quality customer service while performing the duties of a clerk in the Municipal Court. Prepare, review, process and monitor criminal cases filed in the Municipal Court. Contact is usually structured and routine but may occasionally involve conflict and require considerable tact and judgment.
Essential Job Functions
· Provides support for the West Lake Hills Municipal Court, and in the absence of the Municipal Court Clerk is in charge of the function of the Municipal Court.
· Must possess time management & organizational skills and have the ability to prioritize work assignments with accuracy and detail.
· Must be able to understand state law to assist customers and callers regarding court procedures, payments, citations, and warrants; responds to requests for information within scope of authority.
· Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of this job.
· Effectively and efficiently process cases and provide superior customer service and respond to customers who may be uncooperative, irate, or wanted for arrest.
· Exercise considerable discretion when handling confidential information.
· Prepares and processes complaints, summons, writs, warrants, and other court orders as assigned.
· Collects payments of fines at the customer service counter and maintains and balances cash drawer on a daily basis.
· Processes all incoming mail daily, prepares and sends notices and other court correspondence.
· Utilizes INCODE (court software system) and other systems to research, compile, prepare, file, and maintains municipal court documents and records.
· Update case files in INCODE as contact is made with customers, judges, prosecutors, defense attorney, and others.
· Prepares and submits required state reports and stays up-to-date on Legislative changes.
· Use scanners to convert paper court cases into electronic format.
· Works closely with Travis County Constable #5 to ensure accurately and legally prepared warrants. Maintains accurate data of monies collected and owed to Travis County.
· Performs other non-judicial duties as may be delegated by the judge and the Municipal Court Clerk.
· High School Diploma or equivalent
· Must possess a valid Driver’s License
· A desirable candidate should have at least two years’ clerical, cashiering and working knowledge of court operations, policies and procedures.
· Level I Court Clerk certification preferred or the ability to obtain within 1 year of employment. Certification must be maintained to continue employment.
· Bi-lingual English/Spanish communication skills preferred.
· Microsoft Office software, primarily Word and Excel.
· Proper cash handling procedures and basic mathematical calculations.
· INCODE software preferred.
· Provide excellent public relations and customer service, often to multiple customers during the same time.
· Self-starter, ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Proficiently use general office machines, such as a computer, calculator, copier, scanner and fax machine.
· Effectively respond to a stressful or high-pressure environment; meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks under pressure; work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
· Work is confined mainly to an office setting and is subject to sitting, standing, walking, bending, filing, reading, data entry, decision making and reaching for extended periods of time.
· Must be able to safely lift and carry equipment and materials up to forty (40) pounds.
· Stressful situations are inherent to this position.
· Work may occasionally require travel, including over-night stays, involving training and conducting City business.
· Forty-hour workweek, however, comp time will be given to accommodate court hearings.
Compensation & Benefits
This position works a forty-hour week. Court hours of operation are 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday – Friday. Full Time – Hourly $18.00 - $20.00. Benefits include: Employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance; Texas Municipal Retirement System retirement plan; and paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave. The Deputy Court Clerk is a full-time, non-exempt employee as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
The City of West Lake Hills is an Equal Opportunity Employer.