Salary: $36,354 - $53,078
Closing: Open Until Filled (Subject to Close Without Notice)
The City of Fredericksburg is currently accepting applications for a Municipal Court Clerk. Under administrative direction of the Municipal Court Judge, this position will perform administrative, clerical and accounting work in the Municipal Court. Duties include, but are not limited to, providing customer service to the public in person and on the telephone, preparing and processing court documents, assistance in scheduling/coordinating court proceedings, payment plans, and /or deferred disposition. Additional duties include preparing assigned court dockets, sending correspondence to defendants, and responding to inquiries from the Judge regarding individual cases. Individual must be able to work independently under limited supervision and maintain an organized and efficient operation of office. Bilingual communication is strongly preferred. Preference will be given to those who have a Level I or Level II Court Clerk Certification or those willing to obtain certifications. Applications may be picked up and returned to City Hall, 126 W. Main St. Fredericksburg, TX. 78624 or downloaded from our website at http://www.fbgtx.org and emailed to email@example.com. For additional information regarding this position please contact Tammie Loth, HR Manager, at 830-990-2017. Benefits include paid time off, group health insurance, retirement, and paid holidays. EOE
Under administrative direction of the Municipal Judge, performs administrative, clerical and accounting work in the Municipal Court.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for the support of the operation of Municipal Court.
- Processes traffic citations, constructs files, etc.
- Develops court dockets and maintains court records and warrant control.
- Monitors case dispositions for compliance with court orders.
- Receives, logs, and indexes incoming filings, citations and complaints.
- Processes juror subpoenas and supervises juror response and service.
- Assists the public by checking records and files for requested information.
- Receipts and disburses payments, sets up time payment accounts, prepares deposits and maintains accurate accounting for all funds collected, processed and disbursed.
- Takes appropriate action for delinquent payments.
- May assist Municipal Court Judge during trials.
- Answers the telephone; responds to complaints or inquiries and screens and routes calls as appropriate.
- Operates a variety of office equipment including computers, copiers, facsimile machines; inputs and retrieves data, text and graphics.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma and two (2) years of general office experience; or any combination of education and experience that would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of business English, composition, spelling and punctuation; basic mathematics.
- Knowledge of the functions and procedures of the court.
- Knowledge of modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers.
- Knowledge of business letter and report writing; filing and indexing procedures.
- Ability to understand and correctly execute verbal and written instructions,
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while meeting all deadlines and properly documenting actions, calls, and court orders.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor while dealing with angry or difficult customers.
- Ability to operate office equipment including adding machine, photocopier, and personal computer with respect to word processing, electronic spreadsheets, basic database management and integrated accounting systems.
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain correspondence, files, reports, and statistical information.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a member of a service-oriented team.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to fluently speak and understand the Spanish language and act as the Court’s interpreter.
- Ability to courteously respond to requests and inquiries from the general public and staff.
- Ability to sit for long periods, as necessary.
- Must use eyes, ears, hands and fingers to perform assigned duties and responsibilities; occasional lifting over 20 pounds.
Work is generally performed while standing or sitting in an office environment with a computer and telephone.