Closing: June 5, 2020 (Subject to Close Without Notice)
CITY OF JOHNSON CITY JOB DESCRIPTION
COURT CLERK / DEPUTY CITY SECRETARY
This is an administrative position. The court clerk/deputy city secretary is responsible for performing various tasks in support of the activities and operations of the City and City Council, and of the municipal court. This position requires a working knowledge of local and state laws relating to city government, and of municipal operations, policies and procedures.
- Assemble and process court cases; set court dates; prepare court dockets; prepare and send notices and other court correspondence.
- Interact with attorneys, pro se defendants, witnesses, and police officers.
- Issue summons and subpoenas for defendants and witnesses.
- Process complaints, judgments,
- Accept payments of bonds and fines; reconcile cash drawer daily.
- Input and retrieve various data using a computer and Incode court software.
- Prepare and submit required state reports.
- Maintain files; process court mail.
- Provide court information to the public in person and by telephone.
- Perform other related court duties as assigned.
Deputy City Secretary (duties performed under the direction of the City Secretary)
- Compile agenda items for city council meetings; prepare and distribute agenda packets; post notice of council meetings.
- Attend meetings, take and prepare minutes.
- Serve as general accountant of the City and keep regular accounts of city receipts and disbursements by performing bookkeeping and accounting tasks and maintaining fiscal records and accounts; secondary co-signor of checks in absence of Chief Administrative Officer/city secretary.
- Prepare and publish legal and public notices.
- Serve as the election coordinator in the administration and conduct of municipal elections.
- Perform as the city’s public information officer; coordinate responses to open records requests.
- Provide information regarding city ordinances and regulations to the public.
- Maintain official city documents and records and computerized backup systems in accordance with the city’s records retention policy.
- Oversee codification and publication of city ordinances.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education; Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 2 years experience in municipal administration as city secretary or similar position.
- 2 years experience in municipal court operations as court clerk.
- Proficiency in computer skills and software programs: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook and quickbooks.
- Experience with Incode court software preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of municipal laws, regulations, ordinances, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of court procedures and requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of general office procedures.
- Verbal fluency, good grammatical and numerical skills.
- Ability to understand governmental accounting standards and accounting standards.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, tact, and diplomacy with the public.
3) Certifications; License
- Texas Municipal Clerks Certification preferred.
- Texas Municipal Court Level I Certification preferred.
- Notary certification preferred.
- Texas Driver’s License (Class C).
4) Working Conditions
- Ability to lift twenty-five (25) lbs.
- Ability to alternatively sit and stand eight to ten (8-10) hours per day.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is subject to modification by the City Council at any time. This document is not a contract for employment. Nothing herein shall be construed as modifying the at-will employment policy of the City.