Closing: Open Until Filled (Subject to Close Without Notice)
The City of Arcola Municipal Court is accepting applications for the position of Deputy Court Clerk. Under the supervision of the Court Administrator, this position is an entry-level, full-time, and professional position. The clerk provides administrative support to the City’s court system by processing payments of fines and fees, warrants, and cases set on arraignment, trial, and juvenile dockets. Other duties include a variety of clerical duties related to the procedures, laws, record-keeping tasks required of the Texas statute.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
· Must be able to understand state law and have the ability to explain legal options to defendants;
· Posses time management & organizational skills and can prioritize work assignments with accuracy and detail;
· Prepares, processes, maintains, files, and distributes as appropriate various legal records and documents related to Municipal Court, including but not limited to citations, warrants, dockets, offense and accident reports, complaints, etc.
· Performs computer data entry to record and retrieve court information and to prepare required reports and correspondence;
· Monitor and maintain adult and juvenile offenders;
· Verify the defendant’s filings, state motions, and court judgments;
· Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of this job;
· Maintain, Add, and Update Records Management programs. Assembles complete case files and forwards to appropriate personnel;
· Calculates, collects, receipts, balance, and reconciles various fines and fees received;
· Assist defendants, attorneys, and parent/legal guardians on the telephone as well as the clerk’s window;
· Assists Judge and Court Administrator in the courtroom;
· Acts in a civil, respectful manner at all times to management, co-workers, and others;
· Exercise considerable discretion when handling confidential information;
· Utilize LT Systems (court software system) and other networks to research, compile, prepare, file, and maintain municipal court documents;
· Ability to learn and utilize new skills and information to improve job performance and efficiency.
· Keeps abreast of new ordinances and laws affecting Municipal Court;
· Performs other non-judicial duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· High School diploma or equivalent;
· 1-2 years of clerical experience;
· Handle hostile or difficult customers;
· Possession of a valid Texas Driver’s License;
· Learn department policies, procedures, organization, and operating details promptly;
· Handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties;
· Exercise discretion in confidential matters;
· Self-starter, ability to work independently;
· Any equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the work.
· Obtain Level 1 Municipal Court Clerk Certification within two years of the date of hire.
· Required annual training with the Texas Municipal Court Education Center and some travel required.
· A desirable candidate has a working knowledge of court operations, policies, and procedures.
· Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
- Work in confined mainly to an office setting and is subject to sitting, standing, walking, bending, filing, reading, data entry, decision making, and reaching for extended periods.
- Stressful situations are inherent to this position.
- Must be able to safely lift and carry equipment and materials up to thirty (30) pounds.
Tasks require color, sound, depth, texture and visual perception, and discrimination, as well as oral communication ability.Please Note – This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and actions may change at any time