Under general supervision, to perform a variety of complex clerical duties in connection with the procedures and record keeping of Municipal Court; provide periodic statistical reports; maintains accurate and complete court records; accepting payments for Municipal Court fines and fees; providing information and assistance to the public and performs related duties as assigned.
General supervision is provided by the Municipal Court Clerk/Administrator. No direct supervision of staff is required in this position.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
This position is designated as essential personnel for some or all disaster or emergency situations. This designation will require individuals in this job to remain on duty at the City, if so ordered, in the event of an emergency evacuation for a hurricane or other unforeseen circumstances. The instruction to remain at your post for the duration of the crisis is mandatory and failure to adhere to such instructions may subject you to disciplinary action up to and including termination of your employment, unless a waiver is requested and approved in a timely manner. The bases for potential waivers of this designation are listed on the attachment to this job description. The waiver request must be provided to management as soon as the basis for the waiver is known to the employee to allow for proper emergency planning.
· Create an atmosphere of professionalism; timeliness and accuracy are important to the proper operation of the municipal court; including providing accurate and courteous customer service
· Enters violator data and case disposition in the computer system and maintains dockets of all cases filed
· Assign docket/warrant numbers to complaints, warrants and prisoners appearing before the judge
· Collects fines and fees, issues receipts, and makes daily financial reports and deposits to the Finance Department
· Maintains accurate records of case disposition and accurate filing
· Post pre-trial docket for public inspection
· Notifies defendants, complainants, witnesses, and jurors of court dates and appearances
· Select and notify jury panel (as needed)
· Maintain jury pool information
· Responds to requests and inquiries from a variety of individuals, which may include: internal staff, attorneys, defendants, Judges, juveniles, the general public, and/or other interested individuals by phone, in-person, by mail or e-mail.
· Prepare records for addition and clearance from DPS records and submit report to supervisor
· Coordinates with warrant officer for service and collection
· Send letters and past due notices for fines
· Informs supervisor of all work activities
· Adheres to departmental, personnel, and safety rules and regulations
· Must assume duties of Municipal Court Clerk when that employee is not available
· Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION, DEGREES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND / OR LICENSES
Education and Experience
· High School Graduate or GED equivalent required.
· Two (2) to four (4) years prior court clerk experience in a municipal court setting
· Ability to type 35 wpm
· Must be bondable
· Bi-lingual helpful
· Notary Public preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret reports and documents
· Excellent oral and written communications skills; problem solving and conflict mediation
· Ability to establish effective and courteous working relationships with public and other City departments, ability to act with tact and impartiality; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing with co-workers and citizens
· Knowledge of court practices and procedures, legal terminology and concepts and case flow management techniques
· Knowledge of principles and procedures of record keeping
· Knowledge of modern office methods, practices, procedures and computer equipment
· Basic to Intermediate skill in Microsoft Office programs
· Skill in processing court documents accurately and efficiently
· Ability to perform a full range of specialized court clerical work under minimal supervision
· Ability in maintaining accurate records and files
· Ability to make arithmetical calculations quickly and accurately
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for extended periods of time and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift, push and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to stoop to file in lower file cabinet as well as reach to file in top drawer (must have to use small step ladder).
The work environment is generally in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.