Opening Date: August 28, 2020
Closing Date: September 23, 2020
Number of Hours Weekly: 30-40 Hours
Under general supervision, is responsible for providing Municipal Courts-at-Law case files and documents; maintaining dockets; preparing correspondence; preparing official documents; coordinating court appearances; administering oaths; performing data entry; answering telephones; maintaining files; making certified copies; and performing related duties as required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains hearing, trial daily dockets
- Prepares court correspondence
- Prepares and issues legal documents which may include court orders, and judgments.
- Coordinates the appearance of parties for cases scheduled on the court docket
- Administers oaths and takes proofs for parties involved in individual cases
- Performs data entry and computer research of individual case, court date and dismissal or appeal information
- Answers questions in person and by telephone regarding court procedures
- Maintains case files
- Makes certified copies of legal documents
- Prepares court case reports and statistics
- May calculate and accept fees and court costs for court orders
- Performs other duties as required
Working Conditions and Physical Environment:
- High School or General Education Development (GED) certificate, and three (3) years judicial system experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Good knowledge of civil, criminal or probate courtroom procedures; good knowledge of basic legal terminology; good knowledge of alphabetic and numeric file maintenance
- Calculates and collects fines and court costs and fees in person and by mail. Balances cash drawer. Prepares daily bank deposits. Answers correspondence and telephone inquiries regarding court costs and fees. Updates misdemeanor cases regarding time payments not paid in full within the allotted time. Contacts defendants with outstanding fines and sets cases for show-cause hearings
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to accurately enter data; ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; ability to operate personal computer, typewriter and basic office equipment; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, City employees, Elected/Appointed Officials, attorneys and the general public
- May be required to work more than 40 hours during the workweek
- Must secure and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance
- Must secure and maintain a pre-employment physical and a pre-employment drug screen test
- Physical requirements include lifting/carrying 10-15 lbs. occasionally; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard, typewriter and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, walking, reaching and handling to perform the essential functions.
- Working conditions are primarily in an office environment.
Starting pay of $15.00 to $18.00 an hour depending on qualifications and experience.
Resumes will be accepted through the end of business Wednesday, September 23, 2020 by emailing Mayor Micki Ball firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to City of Sandy Oaks, Mayor Ball, P.O. Box 828, Elmendorf, TX 78112. Resumes MUST be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date, not postmarked.
The City of Sandy Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.