Open Until Filled - Subject to Close Without Notice
Salary: $40,144.00 - $58,482.23 Annually
This is a professional position responsible for a broad range of court operations and supervision within the Municipal Court. This position will plan and coordinate court operations to include assigned administrative functions on behalf of the City’s Municipal Court, endeavors to insure all court procedures provide current legal and ethical case management adhering to local and state statutes, serves as the liaison for the Court with all its filing entities and the defendants it serves, oversees clerk functions and training, provides exemplary customer service to the public, creates, organizes and maintains all necessary databases and court procedures and documents for all issues handled by the City of Denison Municipal Court, administers proper collections of fines, fees and court costs and the reporting there of, manages court dockets, appeals, notifications, and special procedures meeting the needs of its filing entities, supervises assigned personnel and assist with preparation of the yearly Court Budget.
Examples of Duties
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to demonstrate competence and satisfactory performance of these duties. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Performs supervisory functions for all clerk staff.
2. Responds to inquiries and requests from other departments and the general public.
3. Answers telephone; directs calls, answers questions and takes messages.
4. Performs research and provides information.
5. Issues and/or files citations, cases, subpoenas, warrants and other court orders.
6. Manages the weekly court docket.
7. Provides certified or plain copies to requesting persons, organizations or municipalities.
8. Scans in documents.
9. Prepares state reports, finance reports and addresses all court administrative duties.
10. Develops and prepares forms and correspondence.
11. Prepares all new cases, issues necessary citations and notices.
12. Proofs documents.
13. Trains new employees.
14. Receives, sorts, opens and distributes mail; performs large-scale mail outs.
15. Performs standard office functions, including faxing, copying, shredding and filing.
16. Assists in filing various applications, motions, reports and notices.
17. Responsible for auditing case files for Warrant eligibility and the issuing thereof.
18. Maintain policy and procedural manual.
19. Maintain and supervise collections procedures.
20. Communicate with the police department regarding warrants and assist the PD clerks with questions.
21. Assist public with questions in person or via phone in relation to court and other city divisions.
22. Assist Court Administrator in all court functions.
23. Assist Prosecutor in preparing case files for court dockets
24. Refers to City ordinances, State Penal Codes, and City directories in performing work activities.
25. Assists Court Administrator with budgeting.
26. Endeavor to ensure proper Court Room decorum is practiced at all times
27. Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
· High School Diploma/GED with five (5) year’s work experience in a legal setting and a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory role is preferred.
· Must have valid driver's license.
· Must have driving record sufficient for coverage by City's auto liability carrier.
· Must hold Level 2 Municipal Court Clerk Certification at time of hire and maintain ongoing requirements for Level 2 Court Clerk Certification.
· Must obtain Notary Public Commission within six (6) months from date of hire.
· Previous cash handling, posting and reconciliation experience.
· Previous court experience.
· Previous supervisory experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of administrative policies and procedures of the City.
2. Ability to establish and maintain accurate records of assigned activities and operations.
3. Ability to interpret and implement local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence; Federal, State, and local regulations.
4. Skill in organizational and time management to prioritize duties to accomplish a high volume of work product while adapting to constant changes in priority.
5. Ability to perform detailed work accurately and independently in compliance with stringent time limits with minimal direction and supervision.
6. Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
7. Knowledge of current office practices and procedures and knowledge of the operation of standard office equipment and software.
8. Knowledge of computer software including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications consistent for this position.
9. Ability to perform mathematical calculations required of this position.
10. Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively in English in both written and verbal form.
11. Skill in researching and understanding complex written materials.
12. Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and concise records and reports.
13. Ability to apply sound judgment and discretion in performing duties, resolving problems and interpreting policies and regulations.
14. Ability to communicate detailed and often sensitive information effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
15. Ability to handle sensitive interpersonal situations calmly and tactfully.
16. Ability to maintain professionalism at all times.
17. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with individuals within and outside the organization.
18. Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion regarding business-related files, reports and conversations, within the provision of Freedom of Information Act and other applicable State and Federal statutes and regulations.
19. Ability to work the allocated hours of the position and respond after hours as needed.