$31,949.00 - $45,503.00 Annually
Do you want to be a part of a team where you play an integral role to ensure goals are met? Do you want to work in a fast paced, rewarding environment? If so, this role may be for you! The City of Victoria is searching for a Municipal Court Clerk. The successful candidate will provide clerical work and customer service for the Municipal Court and will work with the public in providing information and guidance on Municipal Court proceedings. This is an exciting career opportunity for a professional who has a strong desire to stay current on the latest technologies, software systems, and applications. Apply today to be part of a public service organization that prides itself on enhancing the livability of our community! Bi-lingual in Spanish a plus!
Salary amount offered will depend on qualifications. This is a non-exempt position.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs a full range of court operations work including case processing in traffic, criminal, and civil using an electronic case processing system, related applications, and equipment.
- Provides assistance to attorneys, court parties, defendants, and the public by responding to a variety of questions in-person, over the phone, by mail, and/or electronically; Provides forms, documents, and court procedure information, checks people in for court, and refers new or complex questions to higher level staff.
- Effectively greets visitors to department and advises defendants of their rights in reference to Municipal Court procedures and provides public information as authorized by department and/or State Law.
- Initiates case records at the court clerk’s customer service window using electronic means or paper documents; Records required data regarding parties, documents, flags, comments, events, and dispositions in case processing system and other relevant systems; notifies relevant individuals about missing information, documents, or non-compliant legal forms.
- Processes cases within assigned area of responsibility; Researches, tracks, and monitors case status and progression; Follow up with defendants, officers, and/or other parties as necessary.
- Schedules and maintains court calendars; assigns cases to regularly scheduled dockets; Prepares and maintains court dockets; Updates, reschedules, or reassigns cases as necessary and notifies all parties.
- Performs in-court updating during court proceedings including processing documents filed, preparing cases for court orders, and recording required data regarding parties, documents, flags, comments, and events in the electronic case management system and other relevant systems in the Court.
- Utilizes applicable technology such as operating and information systems and/or programs and office equipment to perform and complete work assignments.
- Collects payments and fines; Reconciles cash drawer daily; Processes online payment requests and notifies parties.
- Reviews cases for fines due and prepares mail-out notices or text message notices as needed.
- Accurately enters and reviews citations that are manually entered and electronically uploaded into the system.
- Posts information to records and files, performs correct procedures and scans documentation to case and proofreads all work for accuracy, completeness and format; Maintains files, correspondence and records both manual and computerized.
- Effective at operating modern office and computer equipment and software such as Computers, Laptops, Scanners, Fax Machines, Microsoft software, e-mail, and various software components.
- Sorts, distributes, and processes incoming mail and other materials; Processes e-mail and other electronic communication and/or forwards to appropriate party or department.
- Performs other duties as necessary in the absence of the Assistant Court Administrator or Court Administrator.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Ability to sit, stand, and move about an office or building. Employee occasionally lifts materials weighing 20-50 pounds or climbs in order to reach cabinets. Ability to bend and squat in order to file or retrieve information. May be exposed to electrical, mechanical, or chemical hazards while operating and/or maintaining office equipment.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
Experience in providing excellent Customer Service and efficiency in basic accounting and cash handling skills. Ability to understand court procedures and policies, and legal factors pertaining to the court involved in completing the assigned work. Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with a diverse group of customers, court stakeholders, other agency personnel, and City of Victoria employees either in person, on the phone, in writing, and during courtroom proceedings. Experience working with Zoom video conferencing or similar online meeting software applications and ability to manage court sessions with several parties, Judge, and court staff. Must be able to maintain confidentiality, multi-task, and be well organized. Proficiency in using electronic communication applications such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Teams, and other office equipment.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification:
High school diploma or equivalent required; associate’s degree in a related field preferred. Three years of clerical or office experience required. Minimum of 6 months cash handling and customer service required. Level I Municipal Court Clerks Certification preferred. Will consider equivalent combination of experience and education, which provides the knowledge, abilities, and skills required for the job. Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred. Valid Texas driver’s license with a driving record that meets City