Deputy Court Clerk
The link to apply is https://www.galvestontx.gov/519/Employment and the position close date is open until filled.
DEPARTMENT: Municipal Court DATE: June 2015
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs various technical and staff support activities for the Municipal Court.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Processes payments from the front counter, mail, cash bonds and electronic media.
· Provides information to the public; provides general customer service as needed.
· Performs cash processing and related activities.
· May check in defendants for Court hearings; pulls files of defendants from the court docket and forwards to the prosecuting attorney and the presiding judge; completes judgments with orders; provides cases to the cashier when completed.
· May provide staff support to the City Prosecutor and the City Attorney on requested cases; receives letters of representation from attorneys representing defendants; retrieves files and forwards to the attorney in preparation of offer letters; may add surety bond if one is sent with the letter of representation.
· Processes documentation for the issuance of arrest warrants.
· Processes motions for credit time served requests for the judge.
· Prepares and posts daily court dockets; prepares subpoenas, summons and affidavits as needed.
· Performs data entry as needed.
· Opens and distributes daily mail to staff; files disposed cases.
· Performs copying/faxing/printing of various documentation.
· May perform language translation as requested.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Galveston and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
· Employees may at any time be required to work in order to provide for the safety and well-being of the general public, including the delivery and restoration of vital services, in the event of an emergency.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
· The overall operations of the judicial system.
· Principles and practices of modern office systems.
· Codes of criminal procedure
· Transportation codes.
· Penal codes.
· Law enforcement operations.
· Principles and practices of customer service.
· Business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications.
· Handling situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness and sound judgment.
· Understanding and applying City policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal regulations.
· Explaining City policies and procedures while exercising the highest degree of confidentiality.
· Performing basic mathematical calculations.
· Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with all levels within the City.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High school diploma or equivalent; AND one year of experience in general office operations; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a standard office environment. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 20 pounds.