Starting Salary: $51,000 - $55,000 DOQ
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
- Plan, direct and supervise non-judicial functions of the Municipal Court.
- Responsibilities include case flow management, records management, jury management, managing budget and fiscal functions, and ensure compliance with state laws and judicial rulings.
- Perform other administrative duties as required or directed by City Manager.
1. Does not directly supervise any other employees.
2. Reports to City Secretary
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Maintains all official Municipal Court records of the City according to generally accepted accounting principles and standards, as well as state law.
- Maintains accurate records for the Court including: (1) the docket of the Court proceedings, (2) fee book and receipt book showing the fines and fees collected in each case, and (3) prior violators file which may be needed in hearing cases against those violators or in drivers’ license suspension hearings against habitual violators.
- Works with the City Secretary in preparing the Court’s annual operating expense budget and annual revenue projections; and assists in monitoring the daily management of the operational budget to ensure that expenses are made according to schedule.
- Prepares all Court requisitions for expenditures and classifies them by the proper accounting code number and submits to City Secretary for approval.
- Schedules cases for hearings according to Court policy and prepares daily dockets, one master which list all cases filed with Court and subsidiary docket of cases which requires action each day.
- Notifies defendants and jurors in a timely manner of Court appearances and informs of penalties for failure to appear.
- Accepts and accounts for payment of fines for certain offenses authorized by the municipal Judge.
- Accepts appearance bonds from persons charged with offenses in Municipal Court.
- Prepares subpoenas and attachments for witnesses accurately and in a timely manner in compliance with state law.
- Effectively communicates Court procedures to defendants and assists them as needed with obtaining legal documents.
- Prepares statistical reports for the Judge, City Manager, the Texas Judicial Council, the State Comptroller, and others; prepares other financial reports including the daily cash deposit.
- Develops, manages, and maintains all data processing of Court records.
- Performs Collection Improvement Program (CIP) activities.
- Performs other related work as required.
Education, Experience, and Licenses:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in a related field preferred or experience equivalent
2. License/Certification: Level I Certified Municipal Court Clerk with ability to obtain Level 2.
3. Experience: 3 years’ experience in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
2. Should have knowledge of the Court software, database software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
3. Skill and ability to communicate ideas, facts and technical information in writing and orally, in an accurate, thorough manner that can be easily understood by the intended audience.
4. Ability to effective plan work activities and utilize resources.
5. Ability to deal with confidential subject and proper management of public matters in a professional manner.
6. Ability to read and understand laws, ordinances, correspondence, reports, complaints, and legal documents filed in court.
7. Considerable knowledge of Penal Code, Code of Criminal Procedure and Texas Transportation Code.
8. Knowledge of Alcohol Beverage Code, Texas Education Code, Family Code, Health and Safety Code, and City of Robinson Code of Ordinances as they apply to the Municipal Court.
Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods; ability to bend, stoop, climb, and lift up to thirty-five (35) pounds; ability to hear well enough to deal effectively with customers on phone.